fimmtudagur, 21. febrúar 2013

luxembourg: gamli hluti borgarinnar


Hér koma myndirnar sem ég næstum því lofaði á þriðjudaginn, teknar af gamla hluta borgarinnar sem kallast Grund. Ég tók þessar þegar við fórum í langan göngutúr í Pétrusse dalnum í skólafríi krakkanna. Það var kalt á þessum febrúardegi og heldur grátt yfir öllu. Ég bjóst við að myndirnar yrðu kannski dimmar og drungalegar en þær heppnuðust bara ágætlega, eða það finnst mér.

Fyrir þá sem hafa áhuga á sögu borgarinnar þá læt ég fylgja brot úr texta sem er að finna á vef UNESCO World Heritage Centre:

Because of its strategic position, Luxembourg was, from the 16th century until 1867 when its walls were dismantled, one of Europe's greatest fortified sites. It was repeatedly reinforced as it passed from one great European power to another: the Holy Roman Emperors, House of Burgundy, Habsburgs, French and Spanish kings, and finally the Prussians. Until their partial demolition, the fortifications were a fine example of military architecture spanning several centuries.

The City of Luxembourg is located at the crossing point of two major Roman roads. In 963 Sigefroid, a count from the Moselle valley, built a castle on the Rocher du Bock, which he obtained by means of an exchange with the Abbey of St Maximin of Trier. His servants and soldiers settled around the castle and the modern town sprang from the market-place of this settlement, the Vieux Marché.

The lower town of Grund and the Plateau du Rham: archaeological excavations have shown that the Grund and Rham areas were settled for some six centuries before Count Sigefroid took possession of the Bock promontory in 963. The Wenceslas Wall formed part of the third defensive circuit built in the late 14th century. It underwent a number of modifications and strengthenings as artillery improved.

The Grund sluice was built by the Austrians in 1731; it consists of a massive masonry dam with vaulted openings that could be closed to prevent water passing through them. Much of the lock was dismantled in 1878, but its remains are still impressive, and also provide a magnificent panorama of the city. The Hospital Saint-Jean was founded in 1308; in 1543 a Benedictine community was established there, to become known as the Neuminster.

myndir:
Lísa Hjalt
Luxembourg, febrúar 2013

Engin ummæli:

Skrifa ummæli